Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Another Successful Crockpot Recipe-Cheesy Chicken & Rice

We had another successful crock-pot meal last night. 
Another Chicken crockpot recipe.
From Pinterest.  
The original source is  SouthernPlate.com

I love that it is so easy to dump ingredients into the pot 
and a few hours later have a tasty meal on the table.

My hubby liked it, had 2 servings, and didn't groan when I said, 
"It's a good thing you like it because we'll be eating it again tomorrow!" 
I said that in a nice, pleasant tone with a smile.  
I know that doesn't always come across in two-dimensional writing. : )


I was concerned because the recipe called for Zatarain's Yellow Rice.  
Isn't that the Cajun style stuff with lots of HOT spices?  
I'm a wimp when it comes to hot flavorings.  
I just don't get why a burning mouth = tastes good. 
But I bravely bought it and used it and it was NOT hot. 

I changed the recipe up a little because I used frozen chicken breasts 
(I LOVE that!  Open bag and dump!) 
and I had frozen corn.  
I put the frozen corn in with the frozen chicken at the beginning.  
The recipe used canned corn and added it at the end just to warm it up.

I also only used a half onion - just our personal preference. 



It smelled SO GOOD while it was cooking!

Here's Southern Plates' pic of after the chicken is done.  
She added the corn, pre-cooked rice, and cheddar cheese.
My frozen corn was already in the pot while the chicken cooked.


After all is warmed up, mix it in the crockpot.  
The chicken will break easily into smaller chunks.




Yep.  Just as I expected.  It's YELLOW!

The dish turned out YELLOW as I expected because the recipe calls for cream of chicken soup (yellow), Zatarain's Yellow Rice, Corn and Cheddar Cheese.  
YELLOW.
In the first picture at the top of the page, does it kind of look look like scrambled eggs?
Adding the green beans on the side helped balance out the YELLOW.

Here's Southern Plate's finished dish

And mine.  I think I had less chicken and more cheese.


Anyway, it was yummy!
Ingredients
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I use Vidalia)
  • 1 -8 ounce box Zatarain's Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 - 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
  • 1 -15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
Instructions
  1. Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Scatter chopped onion over top. Spoon cream soup over top of that. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.

 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment